I know what you're thinking: you already have a beard, Kris.
It's true, I do. But not for long. In fact, within the next couple of hours I'm going to go upstairs and shave my beloved chin-concealer off (the mustache stays until tomorrow night; I need it for my Hallowe'en costume). Why am I doing this? Because November is How Not To Grow A Beard Month, an event I conceived on a lark way back in ought-seven.
The idea is simple:
1. Sign up for an account at the How Not To Grow A Beard Month website, http://honotogroabemo.org/
2. If you have a beard, shave it off on October 31st.
3. If you don't have a beard, shave as you normally would on October 31st.
4. Don't shave at all in November. (Minor grooming is allowed, as is removal of neck hair, which can be exceptionally itchy.)
5. Post photos of your "progress" throughout the month.
This year we're inviting people to sponsor a beard (or more than one beard, or the event in general) via PayPal, with all proceeds going to the Ann Voegerl Memorial Breast Cancer Research Fund. So if you can't (or don't want to) grow a beard in November, you can cheer or your favorite chin and help us raise a little money for a good cause, too. Details are on the site.